Serial Update, Part I

Employment found me.

Through a referential sort of "you should talk to" daisy chain, I am now working for a local corporate entity as a bartender down on the Toronto Waterfront. I was hired as a result of the following conversation:

"So, that Fat Fuck has taken over the restaurant?"
"Pretty much."
"Hunh. He's a terrible restauranteur.... I'll give you a job just out of spite."

I had no intention of quitting on the spot. Crazy or not, All-of-the-Above remains the frontman for a professional workplace I may have to reference in the future. Even though he did a number on us, even though he's an asshole, I have come to the conclusion that making needless enemies is not in my best interests.

I had a trial shift at the waterfront bar. It went fine. We established a tentative schedule for me over the following week.

I went back to the once charming, soft, delicious restaurant to get my tips from the previous Saturday, and arrange for a phase-out sort of termination. My tips, for a Saturday night (the money night, I might add), were $70.

"The house float was short. I'm sorry. That's he best I could do. I don't know what happened."

I looked at the money. Looked at him.

You're stealing from me?

"Um.... All-of-the-Above, this isn't the place for me anymore. I can't work for you."
"That's fine," he said, already rubbing me out on the schedule, "I kind of expected it."

Fine, then.

At the very least, it was done.

Comments

Popular Posts