Worth A Thousand

I found a roll of film in the bottom of a bag. I didn't know from whence this film had come, but it was 35mm 100, so I assumed that I had shot it using an SLR some time ago. I haven't owned an SLR in over six years. So I sent it off to be developed to see what kind of mystery photos I would get back.

I picked them up today. Apparently, you really don't have to refrigerate film to keep it from degrading.

11 years ago I left home to escape the farm, and a very real threat to my personal safety. The first stop on my path from the Ottawa Valley to (eventually) here, was Bracebridge, ostensibly to finish high school. What it really was, was out. I left home and family. I started what I could really consider to be my life.

The pictures are from there. From that time.

I feel like I've been beaten unconscious with a feather. Not only that, there are some lovely shots.

I would post them here if I had the means.

Besides a really dorky picture of myself at 17 (which is something I didn't think existed, on anybody's film), there are images of a few people who managed to make me feel loved and included faster than I had ever experienced before. As well, pictures of the two people I most loved and admired at that point in my life. Amanda and Dan.

We had attended high school in the sticks together. Had found one another and held tight for survival. Rode those emotional gambits and defeats white knuckled all the way to the end of the year, and when that year was up, they discovered that they were in love. With each other. Desperately.

I have a picture of them in love. At the very beginning.

It's beautiful.

Comments

Comrade Chicken said…
That's beautiful, Spider.
Anonymous said…
Yes spider I concur with the comrade. I am also shamelessly using this comment as a way to touch base and say Bon Voyage on your upcoming adventure. I will be gone before you get back so pls call and leave me you email or a message bfore you go - then I can send posts from the road!

Formerly delicious restaurant owner!

Popular Posts