Wishing Well

I want to work with Joss Whedon so badly it hurts.

About two years ago, just after I had broken up with Autobahn, to date my most involved of relationships, I was visiting ChikiMonkey and he asked me if I'd like to do some bite-sized reviews of some PS2 games and a DVD boxed set for this.

I narrowed my eyes.

"Do I get to keep the games and the DVDs?"
"Yep."
"Gimme."

The boxed set was a pre-release of Whedon's Firefly series. I had just discovered Buffy in syndication that year. Late, I know, but it doesn't mean I love her any less. Or the show itself.

Something to know about me is that I am hopelessly, desperately, in love with the narrative. It's been this way since I can remember. The affair has been going on forever. When I was four I was scouring the corners of my imagination for stories. I cast my mother and made her act them out with me. Good storytelling makes me tremble. I've been known to lose my breath reading or watching movies. I tear up.

Whedon, as I am sure many of you know, is a phenom storyteller. As far as I'm concerned, he's redefined and mastered the form of the serial. I lurve him.

So, being delivered the ill-fated series (so tragically cancelled) he developed around a fusion of sci-fi and western, I was excited to see it, yet suspect of its premise. Would he, could he, do it again? I have been let down so thoroughly before. Lucas, you cad, you've shaken my faith.

It should be pointed out that having just broken up, broken heart, I was feeling a little fragile. And lonely. Alone.

And a Firefly lit up my little television screen. I went out to space; and trembled; and gasped; and cried.

It was some of the very best of the medium, and, having been terminated abruptly, unfinished. Which was frustrating. In the space of a week, those characters had become my friends. More than that, the quality of the show, from the top down, was obviously a labor of love. The product itself was such a thing to be proud of. I have watched and re-watched imagining what kind of a working environment must have produced something of this caliber. I had dreams of getting involved with its resurrection.

The feature movie sequel, Serenity, has just been released. It is credibly, incredibly good. Holy shit, it's probably one of the most elegant stories I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It kicks Star Wars ass. I've seen it twice.

Sometimes things can and do work out for the best.

And I hopelessly, desperately want to work with him. I want to help create something like that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Serenity is very very very good. But better than Star Wars? I don't think I can go quite that far.

And you don't need to work with Joss to create something as good. You do that all the time anyway.

Popular Posts